• News
  • Columns
  • Interviews
  • BW Communities
  • Events
  • BW TV
  • Subscribe to Print
BW Businessworld

Samsung Mobile Factory In Noida To Create 1000 Jobs

Mobile companies have created 4 lakh jobs since 2014 in India, claims Modi

Photo Credit :


Narendra Modi claimed that 4 lakh people have been employed by mobile manufacturing companies in the past 4 years. Prime Minister Modi said this at the launch of at the launch of Samsung’s mobile manufacturing unit in Noida yesterday (9th July,2018). Modi was accompanied by South Korean president Moon Jae-in for Samsung factory inauguration ceremony, which is also the world’s largest mobile manufacturing unit.

The Samsung mobile factory is an addition to the current manufacturing facility in Noida. The company’s first plant was established in India in the year 1997 for manufacturing television sets in India. 

India is a big market for manufacturing and has now become a mobile manufacturing hub as Prime Minister added that the number of manufacturing units have gone on from just 2 to 120. He also claimed that the Samsung factory will create around 1,000 jobs, boosting the Make In India initiative.

The Samsung manufacturing unit will take its current production of mobile phones from 67 million to 120 million per year; 70 percent of which will be reserved for domestic usage and the other 30 percent exported will put India on a global marketplace. Modi said that through GeM ‘Government e-Market’, the government is being able to directly buy from producers which is benefiting SMEs and brought transparency.

The Indian government imposed taxes on import of key smartphone components last year to make it an electronics-manufacturing hub and boost growth and create new jobs.

India has overtaken US last year to become the second largest smartphone market in the work, only after China. According to Cisco systems, there will be 780 million connected smartphones in 2021, compared with 359 million in 2016.