- Education And Career
- Companies & Markets
- Gadgets & Technology
- After Hours
- Banking & Finance
- Energy & Infra
- Case Study
- Web Exclusive
- Property Review
- Digital India
- Work Life Balance
- Test category by sumit
REX Karmaveer Global Fellowship And Karmaveer Chakra Awards
The moJOsh-Inspirator learning is created by the REX-Karmaveer-LifeSkilling-Gurukul, after 18 years of research and validated by several people who have gained around the world through our corporate trainings/talks
Photo Credit :
April 15, 2019 was a Red-Letter-Day for the Education-Sector and Schools. The REX-Karmaveer #EducationChangeChampion-#ECC- Awards, bestowed on schools that promote holistic Character-Rooted Education to make children better human-beings, better-citizens, better-leaders was launched that day.
Powered by REX-Karmaveer-Global-Fellowship and Karmaveer-Chakra Awards instituted by International-Confederation-Of-NGO-(iCONGO) in partnership with UN (United-Nations has emphasis on Quality-Education in the Sustainable-Development-Goals), these awards are truly BY, OF and FOR Educationalists and a tribute to the People-President and Life Teacher Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam who had offered to be the ambassador for the awards and International-Volunteering-Olympiad.
Proficiently led by Educationalist Eitu Vij-Chopra (who in her opening-talk said “Children are born with super-powers and gifts. We as parents, teachers and schools must help children to UnBox their gifts/Heroic-Potential by unleashing their minds, character and competence to be conscious global-citizens who make positive contributions”) with guidance from Eminent-Educationalists in the #ECC-Learning-Circle, co-chaired by honourable AditiMishra (Principal-DPS-Gurugram) and Globally-Renowned-Education-Reformer MarkParkinson with other Education-Leaders/Principals like DipinderKaur, FaiqaSaulatKhan, MadhuBhatnagar, MayaNorula,
SeemaSablok and RakshitTandon. They all worked over 1-year since March-2018, to form DILIGENT-GUIDING-PRINCIPLES for creating a CREDIBLE-AWARDS-INITIATIVE by researching and nominating worthy #EducationChangeChampion schools from across India (the aim was to find 100 and after researching many, we shortlisted 75 and awarded 68. Awards are strictly not given in absentia).
The day-long-forum had several panels with Eminent-Educators and Parents, who discussed “the need for Character-Building as a Pillar-OF-Education”, “Why Volunteering/Service is essential for students?” and “Why Schools should create social responsibility to drive change”. The forum also had inspiring-talks by Manish Rai, a grassroots Environmental-Activist who teaches children to preserve environment, Dev and Chandni who run the Voice-Of-Slum schools and a soul-stirring presentation by Aditi Mishra about the humbling experience of providing Quality-Education to UnderServed-UnServed children through Shiksha-Kendra at DPS-School, Gurugram, Sector-45.
I listened with intent to understand gaps and noted that schools, mostly focused on talent/competence skills and needed to enhance Character-Rooted-Learning, which was happening to some-extent in schools being awarded, but missing in MANY SCHOOLS across India.
My key-take-away was from Mark Parkinson’s keynote. He began by asking 250+ Eminent-Educators in the audience “Are Schools truly ready for change and for the future?”. He then spoke about the skills like Complex-Problem-Solving, Critical-Thinking, Creativity, People-Management, Team-Coordination, Emotional-Intelligence, Judgement and Decision-Making, Service-Orientation, Negotiation, Cognitive-Flexibility, which INDUSTRY wants (Source-Future-Of-Jobs-Report-#WorldEconomicForum).
Many Principals/Educators in the forum expressed their desire to integrate these skills MORE ROBUSTLY and with MORE FOCUS.
I began with a slide, that highlighted skills-needs-gaps by Edexel-UK-Research, which shows that Future-Skills desired by business-leaders and parents are Goal-Setting, Time-Management, Planning-Preparation, Teamwork, Conflict-Management, Analytics, FUN, Desire-TO-Learn, Good-Health-Hygiene and also Life-Skills like Initiative, Responsibility, Self-Direction, Personal-Productivity, Problem-Solving, Effective-Communication-(Listening) , Collaboration, Cross-Cultural-Understanding, Emotional-Stability, Meaningful-Work. The EU Legislation-for-lifelong-learning emphasises on 8-key-skills like Learning-To-Learn, Initiative & Entrepreneurship, Cultural-Awareness and Expression, Civic-Social-Responsibility, Literacy.
These skills and skills mentioned by Mark (except negotiation) are CHARACTER-ROOTED-SKILLS and not competence-based-skills. Most schools in India (besides IB-International-Baccalaureate-Schools) do not have SOLID focus on these MOST-ESSENTIAL-CHARACTER-LIFE-LEADERSHIP-LEARNING-SKILLS.
I then asked a simple question “Do children STUDY-or-LEARN in schools?”. The prompt response was STUDY. The most-imperative-skill for the future is LEARNING-TO-LEARN, where individuals focus on self-learning in every moment/situation for continuous improvement. To quote AlvinToffler “The illiterates of the 21st-Century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, relearn.”
I then shared a movie-clip from “The-Book-Of-Henry” where he is conversing with his teacher-Henry-Carpenter: Our legacy isn’t what we write on our resume or how many commas we have in our bank-account. It’s who we’re lucky enough to have in our lives and what we can leave them with. So, I say we do the best we can, and that’s what I think about my legacy.
Mrs.Evans: Henry, remind me again why we can’t put you in a gifted school?
Henry-Carpenter: Because it’s better for my psycho-social-development for me to interact with peers at a normal-school-environment.
Henry a very gifted child who wants to stay in a normal school to stay grounded and not get some COCLY-SENSE-OF-ENTITLEMENT.
Frederick Douglas said “It is easier to build strong children, than to repair broken men”. After 12 years of working with 100-of-Thousands of School-Owners/Principals/Parents/Teachers/Students in Schools/Colleges/B-Schools around the globe through my talks/workshops, I have concluded that “Future-Unready and Creatively-Challenged, BROKEN Parents/Educators/Grown-Ups (most, not all) are preparing children for the future and STIFLING CHILDREN with their limited beliefs, mindsets, thoughts, paradigms, boundaries, potential.
Parents have reduced Education to a career and fancy-lifestyle and end up making children feel a SENSE-OF-ENTITLEMENT. That’s frightening. Global-Education-Expert Jim Grant explains that “an entitlement-mindset occurs when a child has been over-nurtured and overindulged. They feel more special, and feel they deserve more than others”
Educators understand this but come under pressure as most parents only focus on performance-of-percentage. Thus, education gets reduced to STUDYING-BY-ROTE, to get high-percentage and a certificate/degree. So, the child becomes a CAREER-MULE burdened all his life, in a thankless-hated-job (story of 85% of the workforce globally). Truth be told the child could have learned-more, been-more, done-more, grown-more, contributed-more if parents had chosen to focus more on their potential. As #EducationChangeChampions, we must lead parents to understand the need to go beyond academic knowledge and fancy-degrees. To quote Einstein. "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution". Remember, Imagination for Innovation is part of character-rooted-learning.
Most Schools/Parents focus on competence/talent without realizing that talent/competence is overrated. It is not our talent/competence, but character that takes us beyond (Global studies has proven this)
One can effortlessly think of highly-gifted-talented-competent sportspeople (VinodKambli, LanceArmstrong), Movie Stars (Home Alone’s MacaulayCulkin), business leaders (RajatGupta), entrepreneurs (TravisKalanick), authors (ChetanBhagat), preachers/gurus and politicians who all lost their game/life/future, because character-rooted-skills were missing.
There is dire-need to focus on Character-Rooted-Learning and prepare children for life and life-skills including emotional, spiritual and moral intelligence. I explained to Educators “Empathy is the biggest-skill and CURRENCY for future growth. We must teach children to-MAKE-A-CONTRIBUTION and not just to-MAKE-A-CAREER”.
I presented research/data “why volunteering is the best form of LifeSkills and the character-rooted-learning, we are taking to schools through the International-Volunteering-LifeSkilling-League-(IVLL) and moJOsh-Inspirator life, leadership and learning2learn lessons, to empower-children, lead a humane, holistically-healthy and happy life/lifestyle.
The moJOsh-Inspirator learning is created by the REX-Karmaveer-LifeSkilling-Gurukul, after 18 years of research and validated by several people who have gained around the world through our corporate trainings/talks. The learning covers physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and moral intelligence and all character-rooted learning essentially required for life and future careers. Through IVLL we create JOY-n-FUN as we LEARN. Students shall choose to volunteer for any cause/activity dear to their heart (Like Mark says, its VOLUNTEERING. Schools should not enforce the volunteering-activity for the child). Every student shall be awarded/certified with the REX-Karmaveer-Chakra Badge-of-Honour/citation, instituted in partnership with the UN. This citation will enable children to create a worthy profile/portfolio that has solid-merit for future-education (Currently all Top Universities/Employers look for these skills and volunteering activities) and career opportunities.
We launched IVLL with the Founder-Torch-Bearer-Schools awarded on 15-April-2019. (List of schools).
List of Schools that were Awarded on 15 April 2019
Rex Karmaveer Education Change Champion Fellowship and Karmaveer Chakra Awards
- Ahlcon International School, Mayur Vihar New Delhi
- Anjuman Khairul Islam Urdu Girls High School, Vikhroli Mumbai
- ASN Senior Secondary School, Mayur Vihar New Delhi
- Bal Bharti School ,Rohini New Delhi
- Bal Bharti School ,Dwarka New Delhi
- Bal Bhawan School Bhopal
- Bloom School ,New Delhi
- Bunt Sangha's S M Shetty High School & Jr College , Powai Mumbai
- C.E.S’s Michael High School / C.E.S’s Marceline Junior College. Kurla West Mumbai
- Delhi Public School, Sector 45 ,Gurugram
- Delhi Public School,Pataudi
- DPS International ,Gurugram
- G.D. Goenka Public School ,Sarita Vihar New Delhi
- Genesis Global school Noida
- Heritage School Jammu
- Hopetown Girls' School,Dehradun
- .International Public School, Bhopal
- Jain Heritage A Cambridge School , Kondapur, Hyderabad
- Kai. Ushatai Lokhande Trust Madhymic Vidyalay Kauthe Malkapur,Ahmednagar
- Kudilal Govindram Seksaria Sarvodaya School ,Malad West Mumbai
- Kundan Vidya Mandir ,Ludhiana
- Maria’s Public School Guwahati
- Mayo’s Girls School, Ajmer
- Mayo’s Boys School, Ajmer
- Met Rishikul VisyalayaA Cambridge International school, Bandra West Mumbai
- M.K.E.S English Medium School,Malad West Mumbai
- Miammad Urdu High School Bandup West Sonapur
- Mount Literazee School Jamshedpur
- Mount Mary HiGH School,Gorgaon West Mumbai
- Muni International School, Uttam Nagar, New Delhi,
- Nalanda School,Badarpur NCR
- Nashman Senior secondary school national high school, Vikhroli East,Mumbai
- NextGen International School, Koppole, Ongole Andhra Pradesh
- Pathways School Noida
- PathwaysWorld School ,Gurugram
- Pragnya Dodhini School ,Goregaon East Mumbai
- Purkal Youth Development Society- Learning Academy. Dehradun
- Rajagiri Public School ,Kalamassery, Ernakulam Dist., Kerala
- Ram Ratna International School, Thane, Maharashtra
- Ramagya School Noida
- Ramjas School R K Puram New Delhi
- Sanjay Ghodawat International School Kholapur
- Sardar Vallabhai Patel Vividhlaxi Vidhyalaya School & Shri Tikamdas Purshottam Bhatia Jr. College of Science, Kandivile West Mumbai
- Scindia Kanya Vidyalaya, Gwalior
- Shantiniketan School ,Girinagar Bangalore
- Sheoran International School .Greater Noida
- Smt. Sulochanadevi Singhania School, Thane
- Sri Venkateshwar International School, Dwarka New Delhi
- St.Anthony High School ,Nallasopara, Palghar
- St. Joseph’s Convent senior secondary School,Bhopal
- St Mary’s School ,Dwarka New Delhi
- Sumeet Rahul Goel Memorial Senior Secondary School, , Agra
- Sunaayy Foundation ,New Delhi
- The Shri Ram Vasant Vihar New Delhi
- The Sri Ram Molshri, Gurugram
- The Sri Ram Junior , Aravali Campus Gurugram
- The Kalyani School, Pune
- The Little Shri School, Rohtak
- The Millennium School, Indore
- The Sanskaar Valley School, Bhopal
- The Shri Ram School, Aravali Senior Campus Gurugram
- The Shriram Millennium School Faridabad
- The Shriram Millennium School, Noida
- The Shri Ram Universal School, Serilingampally, Hyderabad
- Trailblazers International school, Bhopal
- Vivek High English School, Kurla Mumbai
- Voice of slum ,Noida
- Welham Boy’s School, Dehradun
#IdeasForAction: Imagine if Schools/Educators/Parents INSPIRED SOLID CHARACTER to UNLEASH HEROIC POTENTIAL and enabled kids for Learning-To-Learn to explore/realise/grow their unlimited-potential and powers, from childhood through the wonder-years-in-school, rather than making them STUDY the same-humdrum-books like sheep-in-a-herd and leaving them more confused in life, after receiving an expensive-degree. Lions breed Lions.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the article above are those of the authors' and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of this publishing house. Unless otherwise noted, the author is writing in his/her personal capacity. They are not intended and should not be thought to represent official ideas, attitudes, or policies of any agency or institution.