Diwali is a festival of lights and sweets. On this day, everyone is allowed to break healthy habits. Still, people try to avoid traditional sweets over healthy and homemade recipes. To calm your craving for homemade sweets, here is a special Diwali recipe – Green Pea & Pista Kheer. Pistachios are a complete protein source with all nine amino acids, which aids in anti-ageing, and mental and physical health, promoting better skin and hair. A multifaceted plant-based superfood which is a must-have in one’s fitness journey. Pistachios can be explored with sweet and savoury dishes - a delightful nut perfect for celebrating the upcoming festivities.
Green Pea & Pista Kheer
1 cup blanched green peas
1 cup American Pistachios
¼ cup chopped American Pistachios
1½ tbsps ghee
4½ cups milk
½ cup sugar
½ tsp green cardamom powder
Blanched, peeled and slivered American Pistachios for garnish
Dried rose petals for garnish
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Bring sufficient water to a boil in a pan. Add American Pistachios and blanch for 3-5 minutes. Drain the pistachios and put them into cold water to stop the carry over cooking to avoid discoloration.
- Peel the pistachios.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Add green peas and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the peeld pistachios and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Put the green peas and pistachios in a blender jar. Add 1 cup milk in two batches and blend to a coarse paste.
- Heat remaining milk in another pan. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the blended paste and mix till well combined. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add sugar and green cardamom powder and mix well. Cook till sugar melts.
- Add chopped American Pistachios and mix well. Switch the heat off.
- Transfer the kheer into a serving bowl. Garnish with slivered American Pistachios and dried rose petals.
Festive recipes using California grown, American Pistachios