Who is Ram Nath Kovind? Things You Need To Know About India's Next Potential President
BJP announced Ram Nath Kovind as its presidential candidate today. Here are 7 must-know facts about him:
Photo Credit : PTI,
Ram Nath Kovind has served the country for more than 2 decades now. Having worked as a leading advocate and member of parliament (upper house), Mr. Kovind also served in various standing committees. Currently, Kovind serves as the Governor of Bihar.
Here's everything you need to know about the potential President of India:
1. Mr. Ram Nath Kovind took birth on October 1, 1945 at Kanpur dehat in Uttar Pradesh.
2. Kovind did his graduation Commerce, and also studied law for three years from Kanpur University.
3. He entered politics in 1994 when he became a member of parliament in Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh and served as an MP for two consecutive terms till 2006.
4. An advocate by profession, Kovind has been a leading lawyer in both the high court and the supreme court of India. From 1977 to 1979, he also served as a central government advocate in the delhi high court. He became the Advocate On Record of the supreme court in 1978.
5. Kovind has also served as a member on several important Parliamentary Committees. They include: Parliamentary Committee on Home Affairs, Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes, Parliamentary Committee on Law and Justice, Parliamentary Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas, Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment. He also chaired the Rajya Sabha House Committee.
6. Kovind represented the country in United Nations and addressed the United Nations General Assembly in 2002.
7. He has also been a board member of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar university, Lucknow.
Top themes and market attention on: