Advertisement

  • News
  • Columns
  • Interviews
  • BW Communities
  • Events
  • BW TV
  • Subscribe to Print
BW Businessworld

New Science Of Motherhood

The startup based out of Bangalore caters to weight and lifestyle disease management through proper nutrition based information.

Photo Credit :

1584179862_Snie8f_Megha_More_Co_Founder_COO_Trueweight_Wellness_1.jpg

With an increase in appetite for weight loss, people tend to forget the significance of meals and preference of food. Most women would turn up for only weight loss, realised former Mckinsey professional, Megha More during her fitness club days. The passion for fitness and nutrition struck her in 2009 when she was running for the Chicago Half Marathon.

While she adds, “Exercise contributes only 20 per cent to your weight loss. Earlier, we were offering only 20 per cent of the solution. What was the other 80 per cent? It was food.” This led to the birth of Truweight. The startup based out of Bangalore caters to weight and lifestyle disease management through proper nutrition based information.

It provides personalised nutrition counselling through superfoods to support people manage their weight.Truweight raised money through Kalaari Capital to grow the idea into a full scale and launched it full-fledged in 2015. Weight loss is a $9 billion market in India and disease management makes it bigger.

“Managing nutrition and lifestyle is the only sustainable solution,” informs More. It began as an offline store and later went online through the infusion of technology in 2016. Started as a fitness store but later transformed to equally help in lifestyle disease management. In 2017, Truweight launched a unique home sales model, especially for urban households, which is one of its kind. “We have helped more than 40,000 customers lose weight and gain health, says More.

 More believes in honest business practices, she adds, “Engaging in high-quality research and bringing best practices. While the industry is full of false promises, I ensure that all are our programmes are 100 per cent genuine and healthy and research-based.” Truweight’s revenue for 2019 is Rs 27.5 crore and aims to reach Rs 300 crore revenue by 2023. “We started with five healthy food products and now expanded to 55. 

The company has grown 8x since then we have grown 100x,” says More. With the rise in consumerism and binging on western junk food, fitness has become a priority of people. However, technology is leading this change in diet. It is changing the health industry tremendously. “Through technology, we have developed a proprietary in fitness technology. In the era of marketing, most fitness solutions are more of a marketing tactic without any strong focus,” says More. The fitness industry along with technology is bringing in a lot of eyeballs. But how promising are the solutions? Only time will tell.  


Tags assigned to this article:
fastest growing companies 2020