- Education And Career
- Companies & Markets
- Gadgets & Technology
- After Hours
- Banking & Finance
- Energy & Infra
- Case Study
- Web Exclusive
- Property Review
- Digital India
- Work Life Balance
- Test category by sumit
Independence From Dieting
When making meal plans for yourself, choose the best, optimum nutrition foods
Photo Credit : Shutterstock
There are so many times that I have gone out and people are curious to see what is on my plate. Even at a weekend get together, I’m not allowed to let my hair down, have an extra glass of wine, bite into some rice crackers without somebody coming up and asking me, “So, are you on some kind of a diet?” And my response is always:
“No I am not on a diet. Yes, I choose to eat healthy.”
For most of us, getting from one health goal to the other often means being on a “diet.” So we get onto a diet, achieve our health goals, binge, or go back to what was our “normal” eating habits till the next health crisis strikes and we have to be on a “diet” all over again. This kind of a yo-yo dieting causes damage to the heart, messes up the hormones, ages us faster and causes a lot of chronic fatigue. So what is the solution? Consistency in maintaining a lifestyle change and moving away from the lifestyle that actually caused us the health problem.
When we go on a diet, and then revert back to the “normal” way of eating, we are forgetting that our diet which helped us get rid of the issues has to now be the “new normal.” If we go back to our “old normal,” the same issues will emerge and we will have to be on restrictive eating all over again. A good way out of this entire vicious cycle is to just follow the golden rules consistently 80 to 90 per cent of the time. These golden rules will not only help us get healthier, but will also free us from restrictions and help us not get health issues again. They are:
When you are making meal plans for yourself, choose the best, optimum nutrition foods with the highest anti- inflammatory properties, as below:
* 20 per cent cooked vegetables: This essentially means two to three servings of vegetables per day. This can easily be achieved by having a vegetable soup before lunch, and a vegetable along with your lunch and dinner.
* 25 per cent raw vegetables:Raw vegetables and salads are low in calories but high in antioxidants and anti-cancer properties. Having a cut salad of any three kinds of raw vegetables at each meal takes care of this golden rule. For example, you could have sliced cucumber, carrots, onions at one meal and salad leaves like lettuce, arugula at another meal.
* 10 per cent low glycaemic index fruits: Low glycaemic index fruits do not spike blood sugar levels. These are apple, papaya, pineapple, pears, all kinds of berries. They also have the highest anti-cancer properties.
* 20 per cent raw good fats: These are extra-virgin olive oil, nuts and seeds, avocados. You can have extra virgin olive oil and avocados as part of your salads, make a dip out of them and munch on some carrot sticks with the dip, and combine nuts and seeds with your fruits mid-morning or early evening at snack time.
* 25 per cent proteins: Focus on lean proteins like tofu, fresh beans, organic eggs, oily fish and protein-rich carbohydrates like millets, oats and for those with digestive issues, white rice. White rice has often been made the villain, however it is a prebiotic and when combined with protein or nuts, lowers its Glycemic Index
* Green tea and red wine in moderate quantities: Both these have been shown to repair DNA damaged by binge eating, a poor lifestyle, lack of sleep and lots of stress. This is because all these habits damage our cells, and green tea and red wine kill these damaged cells, hence reducing the number of damaged cells in our body, which would otherwise have become cancerous. Pair green tea with your mid-morning and early evening fruits and nuts snack, and your red wine with some pan fry fish/tofu and salad with olive oil.
With the above golden rules, you never have to be on a diet and you can choose from these at an office lunch, an evening out with friends or a holiday with your family. All the above foods are available across the world, you only have to make the right choice and you will be never have a health crisis again.
Cheers and a very happy Independence Day to all of you. Say no to dieting!