How To Make Your Office Space Energy Efficient
Photo Credit :
Commercial buildings waste up to 30 per cent of the energy they consume. BW Businessworld caught up with Amarjeet Singh, co-founder and CTO of Gurgaon-based energy analytics startup Zenatix on five simple ways to make your office space energy efficient.
1. If there are “deferrable” loads, for instance the water motor that can be operated at any point of the day, then ensure that they operate during off-peak hours so you pay less for these loads.
2. Ensure that your air conditioning starts in the morning at the right time so as to precool the building to the right temperature by the time office starts. If the air conditioning is started much earlier than office start time it is a waste of energy and precooling later than start time compromises on the comfort factor of the employees.
3. Have a flexible seating plan in the office so that during weekends or late evenings when there are a relatively less number of people working in the office they can sit in the same area, using light and air conditioning only around that space and not of the whole building or office floor.
4. Switch off your appliances from the plug when not in use. Desktops/printers running in sleep mode during night time, TV/set-top boxes plugged in and not switched off from the plug consume significant energy.
5. Quickly shift from diesel generator to grid supply as soon as the electricity supply is restored after a power cut. Running your diesel generator for even a few extra minutes can cost you a lot to your company.