How To Lose Weight
Here tips on how to lose weight by making some basic lifestyle changes
Photo Credit : Shutterstock
Obesity or overweight is a condition where a person has accumulated so much body fat that it can have a negative effect on their health. Obesity is the most common nutritional disorder these days. If your Body Mass Index says 30 that means you are obese.
The BMI is basically a measurement taken from your weight and height. It does not calculate the body fat directly but it tells us that according to our height whether our weight falls in the correct category or not.
The BMI cut off:
Below 18.5 - underweight
18.5-24.9 - normal weight
24.9-29.9 - overweight
30 and greater - obese
40 and greater - morbid or extremely obese
In today's date, weight issues are counted as one of the greatest health problems that affect people. It often leads to psychological problems, metabolic issues, cardiovascular diseases etc. There are people who get affected by their weight problems so deeply that it results in depression and that is not just being overweight. People who are underweight also develop stress due to it.
Looking good, being a certain weight, having a particular body type, trying to look like a particular celebrity is all lifestyle problems that have aggravated more so in the past two decades. People have resorted to various means and fads that have an extremely adverse effect on their health and mind. Anorexia, starvation, going under the knife are results of the influence that the silver screen has upon us. It is very important to understand that people with the perfect body and perfect weight have it because they are paid to be it. They have an entourage of people whose livelihood depends upon making people look the way in which they can bedazzle you.
Do not get carried away by such fads, those looks, that physique.
Understand, that being healthy & being fit is the end goal.
Following blindly what makes someone lose weight will not help you. The nutrition that your body needs to function might be absolutely different from what another person body needs. The basics may remain the same, but in the end, it’s the nuances that are at play with your body that matter. It works in the same way like falling in love. You find one partner, two perhaps or even three, but majorly, every person has a person that gets the best out of them. And that’s where we coin the term soulmate.
Remember this analogy with the food you eat and you will hardly go wrong!
Why we gain weight:
• We lead a sedentary life, desk jobs, glued to the computer all day. Consuming too many calories and not burning them enough is the major reason for weight gain. That means there is no balance between calories consumed and calories expended.
• Availability of everything is easy. We at least used to go out shopping back in the day. We resolve to online purchasing now. Kids used to go out and play and to replace that joy we have all the play stations in the world to make us ever see the light of day and enjoy the simple pleasure of running around
And this weight gain, in turn, leads to all problems that can otherwise be cured for example:
1) Cardiovascular disease (BP / Stroke / Cholesterol).
3) Insulin Resistance.
6) Some type of cancers (like Breast/ Prostrate)
9) Breathing Difficulty.
10) Increased risk of fractures.
What we can do to lose weight
1) Limit your energy from fat and sugar.
(Avoid food which is high in fat and sugar)
2) Increase your consumption of whole grains/ fruits/ Veggies / eggs/ nuts/ legumes.
3) Drink a lot of water, whenever you feel hungry just have a glass of water.
4) Engage yourself in about 50 mins of physical activities.
5) Change your technique of preparing food like always use grilling or baking.
6) Restrict your sodium intake.
7) Modify your lifestyle a bit, if going out for socialising always eat a little snack and then go.
Over there(at the party) have a glass of water first, then salads and then soup and then you go for some main cause.
Always fill your stomach.
We will give you some tips on how to lose weight by making some basic lifestyle changes. For that keep watching this space!
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the article above are those of the authors' and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of this publishing house. Unless otherwise noted, the author is writing in his/her personal capacity. They are not intended and should not be thought to represent official ideas, attitudes, or policies of any agency or institution.