- Education And Career
- Companies & Markets
- Gadgets & Technology
- After Hours
- Banking & Finance
- Energy & Infra
- Case Study
- Web Exclusive
- Property Review
- Digital India
- Work Life Balance
- Test category by sumit
Drink Copper Charged Water For Gold Standard Health
Copper is vital for insulating nerve cells(myelination) and this leads to improved brain function. It’s anti-convulsive properties can help prevent seizures
Photo Credit :
Besides the macronutrients for energy, our body requires vitamins & minerals for carrying out many important functions in our body. Alongwith major minerals, we require “trace minerals” which as the name suggests, are required in very little amounts. Copper is one such essential trace mineral. As a component of many enzymes, Copper is involved in vital functions such as energy production, iron metabolism, healthy connective tissue, neurotransmission and composing hemoglobin . It has antimicrobial, anti-oxidant ,anti-carcinogenic & anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps neutralize toxins. The human body cannot synthesize copper, and hence it must be derived through dietary sources. Foods rich in copper include nuts (specially cashews, almonds & brazil nuts), chickpeas, seeds(specially poppy & sunflower), wholegrains, organ meats & dryfruits.
Another way to ensure sufficient copper intake is consuming water stored in copper vessels. Since the last few centuries, Indians & other Asians have known the benefits of copper-charged water. Ancient Ayurvedic scriptures affirm health benefits of storing water in copper vessels. Scientific studies now back the belief that storing water overnight or for over 8 hours in a copper vessel involves a natural purification process that can destroy all the microorganisms, molds, fungi, algae and bacteria, present in the water. This is called the Oligodynamic effect.
As per Ayurveda, when had first thing in the morning, copper –charged water helps balance the tridoshas, namely Kapha, Vata & Pitta. The “salubrious” water from copper vessel is called Tamra jal in Sanskrit.
As a practicing Nutritionist with a functional approach to food, I strongly believe the solution to fix diseases inflicted by modern lifestyle lies in “going back to one’s roots”. And including copper-charged water is one of the ways of doing the same. Benefits include :
1) Prevents Water-borne diseases : As discussed above, storing water in copper vessels helps kill harmful micro organisms.
2) Detoxes the Digestive system : A morning ritual of consuming a glass of copper-charged water can help stimulate bowel movement and offer relief for even chronic constipation cases. It helps regulate liver and kidney function thereby ensuring proper elimination of toxins and waste.
3) Anti- Ageing : Copper works as an antioxidant. Copper ions combine with certain proteins to help maintain collagen levels & skin elasticity. It is the main component in the production of melanin (pigment responsible for the color of our eyes, hair & skin) in our bodies. And that’s why a deficiency in copper can cause premature graying of hair.
4) Anti-inflammatory : The best way to get “alkaline water” is storing it in a copper jug instead of opting for expensive water machines to give you an artificial alkaline water. Water stored in a copper vessel will become increasingly alkaline the longer it remains in the copper vessel, and the speed and degree of the alkalinization process will depend on various environmental factors, including the temperature of the water and its original pH level. People with inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis can greatly benefit by consuming this water.
5) Thyroid function : One of the 3 essential minerals for optimum thyroid function is Copper, the other two being Iodine & Selenium. Copper helps stimulate production of thyroxine or T4.
6) Healthy Brain function : Copper is vital for insulating nerve cells (myelination) and this leads to improved brain function. It’s anti-convulsive properties can help prevent seizures.
7) Helps prevent Anemia : Copper is essential for production of hemoglobin as well as for iron absorption.
To ensure maximum benefit, make sure the copper vessel that you buy is pure copper and not alloy-based with just a copper-coating. You can now find copper jugs, glasses and even water bottles selling on the fanciest of online portals and even the west is picking up this holistic ritual. You need not drink copper-charged water all the year long. Follow this ritual for 3 months and then take a break for a month. Restart again for 3 months after this one-month break. This ensures removal of excess copper and prevents toxicity. Copper oxidizes naturally and needs to be cleaned regularly. Conventional methods of cleaning copper are rubbing the copper with a mixture of salt & tamarind paste or fresh lemon juice. If not lime, try salt or baking soda and vinegar to clean it.
As a word of caution, women with copper-based IUDs should avoid drinking copper charged water to reduce the risk of copper- toxicity. One should also watch for water coming from corroded copper pipes. Like aluminium, copper vessels should also not be used to cook acidic foods.
As a matter of fact, the Egyptian symbol of eternal life & fertility “Ankh’, represented Copper. So, while you may want Gold to adorn your outer self, it’s COPPER that will emend your inner body.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the article above are those of the authors' and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of this publishing house. Unless otherwise noted, the author is writing in his/her personal capacity. They are not intended and should not be thought to represent official ideas, attitudes, or policies of any agency or institution.