Don’t Let The Sugar Bring You Down!
Start now, and protect your kidneys, liver and pancreas, and live a long and healthy life
Photo Credit :
With 65 million diabetics in India and counting, emergence of a diabetes management clinic in every locality is a reality we live with. Every day, I get a couple of cases myself. And ironically, for me, type 2 diabetes reversal has been much easier than the other diseases I treat.
Type 2 diabetes is an inflammatory chronic condition that affects the way your body metabolises sugar. The body either resists the effects of insulin — a hormone that regulates movement of sugar into cells — or doesn’t produce enough to maintain normal glucose levels. However, as per the Mayo Clinic, medications should step in only if diet and exercise aren’t enough to manage your blood sugar well.
Sugar spikes and excess sugar in the blood cannot be flushed out with just the usage of medication. And this is because drugs like metformin, sulfonylureas, meglitinides, thiazolidinediones, DPP-4 inhibitors, GLP-1 receptor agonists all suppress the symptoms artificially instead of strengthening the liver, pancreas to manage production of glucose, and strengthening body tissues. And ironically, these same drugs that control type 2 diabetes also have side effects like weight gain, increased risk of heart failure, fractures, pancreatitis, nausea, diarrhea and a compromised stomach lining.
Patients with type 2 diabetes are also at risk for heart disease, nephropathy, neuropathy, eyes damage, foot damage, hearing imapirement, skin conditions and Alzhiemer’s.
The conventional approach to type 2 diabetes is monitoring of sugar levels and HbA1C, and bringing these down via a combination of medication and lifestyle changes, where diabetes medication and insulin therapy are the main focus.
However, type 2 diabetes has now been proven to be reversed via just lifestyle changes without medication. A 2016 study from Newcastle University (led by Dr Roy Taylor from the Newcastle Hospitals) has shown that people who reverse their diabetes and then keep their weight down remain free of diabetes. The team also found that patients who have had type 2 diabetes for up to 10 years can reverse their condition via lifestyle changes alone.
The Type 2 Diabetes Reversal Approach is an aggressive lifestyle change that attacks the causes and eliminates them instead of suppressing symptoms. Follow this 7-pronged strategy:
1. Reducte inflammation via an anti-inflammatory diet & lifestyle changes
2. Reduce sugar via food combinations of protein with carbohydrates and lower your carbs, to first reduce sugar spikes and then maintain them
3. Improve your body’s own immune response to give it the ability to fight inflammatory lifestyle diseases
4. Soften deposits in the arteries, clogging in pancreas and reduce risk of atheroscleoris via including good fats like nuts, seeds, extra virgin olive oil and relaxation based breathing techniques into your every day schedule
5. Flush out via high fibre foods, thus reducing risk of heart disease and flushing excess sugar from the body
6. Strengthen your liver, pancreas and kidneys via nutrition that includes foods and supplements that support these (since optimal functioning of liver helps patients break down glucose better). Include probiotics, cranberry, cruciferous vegetables and raw salads.
7. Work on stress reduction
Type 2 diabetes can be reversed in just four months by cutting calories, exercising and keeping glucose under control, a trial has shown (McMaster university, Canada). Patients who come to me with HbA1C as high as 13, have managed to bring it down to 6 in just 4-5 months. And those with levels under 10, have brought it down to 5.5-.58 in just three months. So if you have type 2 diabetes, don’t stay resigned with the statement that it cannot be cured. There are enough studies across the world that have proven otherwise.
Start now, and protect your kidneys, liver and pancreas, and live a long and healthy life.