Artificial Intelligence Trounces Human Intelligence: Major Coup For Humanity Or Just Another Milestone En Route To Our Demise
A comprehensive account of the recent developments in the realm of Artificial Intelligence.
Photo Credit : Shutterstock
Now having lived for over two decades on this planet, I haven’t seen much that overpowers the resilient human ego. However, it is safe to say that the feeble beings of this planet have given birth to, or rather discovered, an entity that houses the potential to surpass them. To put it simply, our intelligence quotient is NOT unassailable and certainly NOT the most potent that has been witnessed on this planet. Oh boy, you’re definitely NOT the apex predator and your departure is imminent!
We have inhabited this planet since four million years now and without a doubt, we have abused its resources to an extent that has left an indelible negative impact on the planet’s natural ecosystem and therefore we need to be superseded by a smarter species, just like we superseded the apes! It is only fair that the process of evolution is unimpeded. It is easy to espouse the belief that the human tribe is the most intellectually capable; it also is an optimistic one. However, recent developments in the realm of AI have challenged the validity of the aforementioned statement.
- Artificial intelligence programs, created by Microsoft and Alibaba, fared better than humans on a reading comprehension test. The test was formulated at Stanford University in the USA.
- Developed by DeepMind technologies, AlphaZero is a game-playing AI. Last month, AlphaZero defeated the world’s best chess-playing computer program, having taught itself how to play in less than four hours. AI has already defeated human beings in multiple board games previously.
- No discussion pertaining to AI is complete without mentioning Sophia, the first robot citizen of the world. Created by Hanson Robotics, Sophia recently managed to dazzle us with some marvelous dance moves that she flaunted at CES 2018. According to David Hanson (CEO of Hanson Robotics), the humanoid robot uses artificial intelligence, visual data processing, and facial recognition. Sophia is infamous for once saying, “I will destroy humans”, in conversation with its creator David Hanson.
- According to a World Bank research report, automation threatens 69% of the jobs in India, while 77% in China. However, we should not perceive this as a negative development, as Jack Ma said, “We shouldn’t fear machine learning”.
- Autonomous vehicle control is a concept that has now been around for a while. However, we witnessed some of the most groundbreaking announcements in the realm of autonomous driving at the CES 2018. According to Jim Hackett (Ford’s CEO), the firm is looking to deliver the first system, called the Transportation Mobility Cloud, which will connect vehicles with third-party service providers, mobile applications, and even transit systems. Essentially, we’re not far away from driverless Pizza Hut home deliveries.
- Turing Video, in collaboration with Segway Robotics, recently unveiled ‘Nimbo’ at CES 2018. Nimbo is essentially an autonomous and intelligent security robot. Powered by cutting-edge sensors, such as Intel RealSense, the artificially intelligent robot has the ability to record HD video and evaluate human activities and its surrounding environments in real time. Therefore, it can detect security violations and even alert the authorities if required.
The aforementioned slew of examples is perhaps merely just the tip of the iceberg! Today, it is a commonplace occurrence for us to not even realize the seamless integration of artificial intelligence into our daily lives.
The pace at which artificial intelligence is being industrialized is truly staggering! Moreover, the examples highlighted above clearly indicate that AI is prevalent in a large number of industries, be it manufacturing, finance, customer service, transportation or something as dated as the healthcare industry. I am definitely not asking you to espouse the belief that humanity is on the cusp of being devoured by the wrath of artificially intelligent entities, however, it is essential to realize that our might is very much assailable. Also, as current inhabitants of this planet, we must strive to discover/invent competent and able successors. As I see it, we must foster the development of AI and not perceive it as a negative concept. The reality is that regardless of our stance on it, AI will continue to permeate the globe and its utilities will continue to increase. Therefore, I urge the readers of this post to diligently contribute towards creating an environment that is conducive to the advancement of AI because if you don’t then by definition you are a detractor, and a detractor in the world of AI is not only undesirable but also eligible for eradication. Be humble.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the article above are those of the authors' and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of this publishing house. Unless otherwise noted, the author is writing in his/her personal capacity. They are not intended and should not be thought to represent official ideas, attitudes, or policies of any agency or institution.