Advertisement

  • News
  • Columns
  • Interviews
  • BW Communities
  • Events
  • BW TV
  • Subscribe to Print
  • Editorial Calendar 19-20
BW Businessworld

18% Growth In Biz Establishments in Delhi

Photo Credit :

The number of business establishments in Delhi has increased to nearly 9 lakh, a rise of 18.35 per cent over the figures for the year 2005, according to the latest economic census.

According to a report released on Saturday (20 September) on the Sixth Economic Census 2013, the number of business establishments here is 8.93 lakh compared to 7.55 lakh as per the Fifth Economic Census 2005.

According to the census, prepared by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics, about 1.53 per cent of the total establishments in the country are located in Delhi as compared to 1.32 per cent in Chattisgarh, 2 per cent in Haryana, 1.09 per cent in Jharkhand, 0.87 per cent in Jammu & Kashmir and 0.71 per cent in Himachal Pradesh.

Furthermore, about 6.87 lakh establishments (76.9 per cent) are working in a fixed structure and remaining 2.06 lakh (23.1 per cent) without any fixed structure in the national capital.

While, at the national level 20.49 per cent of the total establishments are working without fixed structure.

Data for handicraft and handloom establishments was collected for the first time, according to which 2.50 per cent of the establishments (22,308) are engaged in this sector.

Out of total workers, 20.49 lakh (68.70 per cent) were hired workers and 9.36 lakh (31.3 per cent)non hired workers.

About 26.21 lakh (87.8 per cent) were male worker and 3.64 lakh (12.2 per cent) were female workers. The percentage share of Delhi in total number of persons employed in the country is 2.34 per cent.

The percentage of hired workers out of total workers in Delhi is about 68.65 per cent as against all India average of 45.69 per cent.

Delhi's average employment size (number of workers per enterprise) of 3.34 workers per enterprise is relatively better from its neighbouring states and UTs like Haryana (2.76), Himachal Pradesh (2.32), Punjab (2.36), Uttar Pradesh (2.05), Uttrakhand (2.63), Rajasthan (2.12), Madhya Pradesh (2.06) and J&K (2.14).

The average employment size is also better than the all India average of 2.18 workers per enterprise.

The census said that the maximum number of establishments (1.53 lakh) are located in central district (17.2 per cent) followed by 11.9 per cent (1.07 lakh) in West district, 10.5 per cent (0.94 lakh) in North East, 10.4 per cent (0.93 lakh) in North West and 9.2 per cent (0.82 lakh) in East district.

Delhi with 1.53 per cent share in the total number of establishment had occupied 17th position among 36 States/UTs in the country.

(PTI)


Tags assigned to this article:
dell honeywell payu yahoo weather app ali raza